Pages

Friday, June 19, 2015

Three Little Words

Three Little Words usually brings to mind the lovely sentiment "I love you".  I am all in favor of that.  But there are other combinations of three little words that also pack a punch.

I found myself with a long skinny piece of linen left over from a past rug hooking project - roughly 13" by 60".  I rolled it out on the floor and stared at it.  Too skinny for a floor runner.  I contemplated.  "It should say something!"  Almost instantly I knew what it should say - these three little words...


I've been doing mostly scrappy/hit or miss rugs lately in an effort to use up leftover wool, but for this rug I wanted something else.  I remembered this beautiful eggplant textured wool I purchased awhile back on speculation (because I loved it!).......  this would be the words!  I also used it to bind the edge of the rug. 


Next I chose a font on my computer for the letters.  After choosing the font, I printed out each letter in the size I wanted it to be on the rug.  I cut out the letters and traced them directly onto the linen.  To keep things level, I had already drawn a straight line on the linen where the bottom of each letter would be.

When choosing the font, I had to keep in mind how difficult it would be to hook the shape of the letter.  I liked this font because it was overall pretty straight, with just a few curvy flourishes to add interest.  (I just spent an hour trying to find the Word document I used to make the letters so that I could tell you the name of the font.  I have noticed that the ONLY files that EVER get lost on my computer are those I MIGHT want to look at again someday.  Sorry.) 


For the background, Anita (my rug hooking teacher Anita White) helped me choose one of her beautiful overdyed wools.  I think it does a great job of backing up the eggplant letters without overpowering them.  Here is a piece of it...as you can see, it is a plaid with very large squares (4"x4").  In real life, it is more subdued than it appears here.



The rug hangs on the wall centered above two side-by-side doors in our living room.  It looks great and everyone notices it up there.

I have started a new rug, and in fact it is almost finished!  I'll be back soon...

Enjoy your particular version of summer.  Our particular version can only be described as...HUMID!!!






4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy - What a great new rug! I can't believe that wool hooked up into that background - it's awesome! I never would have expected it to turn out like that. Can't wait to see your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share any applications example baixar snapchat , google play and play store. Snapchat is app which everybody like, it's chat app. Baixar google play and play store are two applications of google. It allows you download applications and games which you like. Please, Baixar play store to mobile to experience

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks for posting this useful content, Good to know about new things here, Let me share this, . .net training in pune

    ReplyDelete

Your comments...